Tuesday, July 16, 2013

50 Foals Challenge: Foals 1-4


We begin the challenge with Jareth and Sarah King, based entirely off the fanfiction "That Summer", in which Jareth finds peace as a rancher in Montana, and Sarah somehow finds her way to working for him. A very interesting, refreshing, and unique story that is based off one of my favorite country songs.

Ahem... anyways, the goal of the 50 foals challenge is to have 50 foals. No two are allowed to share the same parents. So I adopted two mares, Flicka and Bella, to accomplish this.


This is Flicka, enjoying an evening brushing after being bred at the stables. Sarah and Jareth switch out who cares for the horses and who brings in the bread.


I think Jareth enjoys working from home just a little too much. Although if I spent most of my time in tight pants, I would probably relish the freedom as well.


Soldier, Flicka and Cascade's foal, is the first colt born on the farm. He is an exact replica of his mother. He also taught me that foals do not appreciate being separated from their mother and that it is good to make friends with a human quickly... it also helps with training.


Soon Soldier was joined by Ripley, son of Bella and Swell. He looks just like his father. I had hoped for more... well, genetic blending!


When the unicorn Wayfarer appeared almost directly on our lot, he became the seventh member of the family. As a stallion, he could not offer much in the way of birthing, but I wanted to enjoy having him while Bella and Flicka bore his foals. The goal was for one of the foals to be a female unicorn so she could continue bearing unicorn foals, but... well, I'm still becoming familiar with the rules of the game. Moving on!


But that wasn't enough. I just HAD to fill that 8th character slot. It's not like I need that slot in order to actually complete the goal of the challenge, which is having babies. HORSE babies. Bella looks on in interest, wondering if this is why she hadn't been bred again.


Soldier and Ripley aged, so I made Jareth spend long hours training them to lose the "Untrained" trait. (Clearly his work-from-home uniform is the same as his work-outside-the-home uniform.) However, I soon realized this was pointless and wasted my time. So I sold them and bred the mares again. After all, that is the point of this challenge: breed foals. I seem to keep getting sidetracked with train foals, have unicorns, and raise a family.


Birthing is taking place all around. Ripley and Soldier were sold early in the pregnancy (though it isn't apparent from the story), so the mares gave birth about a day after Sarah... which is probably why I have no pictures of baby Annette.


So enjoy a picture of Starlet instead (Flicka x Breaker, half-sister to Soldier). She looks just like Flicka except for her father's black mane. 


And just to continue the look-alike strain, we have Digit (Bella x Cascade, also half-sister to Soldier as well as Ripley). 



As a parting shot, I leave you with a picture of Annette as a toddler, since I clearly ignored her in favor of the foals. Sorry, sister... they are what the challenge is about!











No comments:

Post a Comment